Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Summer of Trailer Town

So a long time ago, back during the New Orleans Years, Era #1, I had a pool in my backyard. And inevitably, about halfway through the summer there were any number of people lazing around it, and many parties were planned. During a particularly hazy evening, I managed to decree that this summer, to distinguish it from the summer prior, was to be known as the Summer of All Calypso, All The Time. And that at least every third song played from then on should have a calypso beat, or "Summer" in the title. To aid in this endeavor, I compiled a cleverly titled CD called "The Summer of All Calypso, All The Time" that I burned and distributed to my less than eager friends. This begat later summers:


The Summer of British Steel

The Summer of Southern Rock

The Summer of 70s-ish Country


Sure I skipped a few years, but this year, late in the almost Indian summer, we have the Summer of Trailer Town. No reason really, but most if not all of these songs have some of the most quotable, depressing lyrics in my library, which for those of you who know me, is saying something. Plus for some reason, I'm in a Slobberbone kind of mood. And even though burning CDs is soooo 2005, I feel like sticking to the 79 minute limit makes the mind clearer, like writing a villanelle or sitting alone at a bar. I'll probably be posting my favorite lines from each song sometime later, like after I pour myself a glass of whiskey.


1. Move On / Chris Knight

2. Mach 1 / Trailer Bride

3. Dog Bumped / Tim Barry

4. I Can Tell Your Love is Waning / Slobberbone

5. Straight To Hell / Drivin 'N' Cryin

6. Thrice All American / Neko Case & Her Boyfriends

7. Our Town / Iris Dement

8. Slow Dancing / Lucero

9. Cursed / Chad Price

10. Pinball Song / Slobberbone

11. Murder, Tonight, In The Trailer Park / Cowboy Junkies

12. The Deeper In / Drive-By Truckers

13. Moonshiner / Uncle Tupelo

14. Smokin' 100's Alone / The Bottle Rockets

15. The Buck Starts Here / Robbie Fulks

16. (I Was Drunk At The) Pulpit / Palace Music

17. Drinkin' In My Sunday Dress / Maria McKee

18. Bible Song / Lori McKenna

19. Decoration Day / Drive-By Truckers

No comments:

Post a Comment